Illinois Employment Law Lawyers
Protecting Your Rights in the Workplace
Employment law concerns the rights and obligations of employers and employees in the workplace. It covers various issues, from discrimination and harassment to wage and hour disputes and wrongful termination. At its core, employment law protects workers’ rights and ensures fair and respectful treatment.
An employment law lawyer can be critical in safeguarding their client’s best interests. They can help individuals navigate the complicated legal landscape. They can also guide and advise employers, allowing them to understand their legal responsibilities and avoid pitfalls.
At Fish Potter Bolaños, P.C., we have over 100 years of combined legal experience. Our Illinois employment law attorneys inform our clients about the legal matters affecting them and leverage our insights and resources to protect their rights and interests. We listen carefully to our clients’ issues and concerns, seeking meaningful results on their behalf.
If you are facing an employment law issue in Illinois, please contact usat (312) 818-2407 to learn more about how we can help.
Helping Employees and Businesses with Legal Issues
At Fish Potter Bolaños, P.C., we understand employment law's complex and ever-changing landscape. We provide comprehensive legal services that cover a wide range of issues. We pursue justice and appropriate remedies for those wronged and help develop contracts and agreements to avoid risks.
Some of the matters our Illinois employment law lawyers handle include the following:
- Discrimination: Our firm represents employees victim of workplace discrimination. Discrimination can take many forms, including but not limited to discrimination based on race, gender, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, and religion. State and federal laws prohibit such behavior in the workplace, and our attorneys are equipped to address violations.
- Sexual harassment: Sexual harassment is an all-too-common occurrence in the workplace. Employers can be held liable for such behavior. Our attorneys are committed to helping clients subjected to unwelcome sexual conduct, requests for sexual favors, and other forms of sexual harassment.
- Retaliation: Retaliation is a severe problem in many workplaces. We protect employees who speak up about unlawful practices by their employers or who file complaints of discrimination or harassment. We work to ensure that employees are not penalized for their commendable actions and explain their legal protections.
- Wage and hour laws: We are well-versed in wage and hour laws, which cover issues such as minimum wage, overtime pay, and breaks. We also have experience with the Illinois Wage Payment and Collection Act, which outlines the penalties for noncompliance. If you have questions or concerns about your pay or working conditions, our attorneys are here to help.
- Wrongful termination: Wrongful termination is a serious matter, and our firm is committed to helping clients who have been terminated from their jobs in violation of the law. We work to identify situations in which a claim may be filed, and we explain what constitutes wrongful termination, such as retaliation for whistleblowing or other protected actions.
- Severance agreements: Severance agreements are binding contracts between employers and employees concerning wages paid when an employee exits the company under certain circumstances. While not generally required, many businesses use severance agreements, and our attorneys can help negotiate contracts. Our attorneys can assist clients through the complexities of these agreements, which may include provisions for severance amounts, health insurance, waivers, release of claims, and non-disparagement clauses.
- Non-competes: Non-compete agreements can be highly restrictive for employees. While enforceable in Illinois if they protect legitimate business interests, these covenants can limit employees' ability to find work in their chosen field.
- Shareholder, corporate, and partnership disputes: Our firm also represents business owners in disputes with partners or other owners. We pursue negotiation and litigation to seek resolutions to these conflicts, and our attorneys are well-versed in the legal complexities of these issues.
Schedule a Consultation with Our Firm
Employment law issues can be serious and significantly impact employees’ lives. At Fish Potter Bolaños, P.C., we understand the importance of protecting workers' rights and providing legal representation that is both compassionate and effective. We have the experience and dedication to provide top-notch services to those who most need them.
Speak with one of our employment law attorneys in Illinois by contacting us at (312) 818-2407.
Reach Out Today if You Feel You Are Qualified to Join This Investigation